Skip to main content

Jessica's Graduation and Maddy Updates

What a whirlwind weekend and week so far! We started out last Wednesday night putting in another flower bed in our front yard. It turned out great. We didn't get started on it until about 7 at night and worked til after 9 to get everything done before we headed to Louisiana the next day for Jessica's graduation. We are going to put a birdbath in the back of this flower bed.
A picnic at the park in Monroe! This park was by the river. It was so fun to do something outside and get to spend time with the Skidmore girls.
This is by the bayou that runs behind where Jessica did her graduate studies. We went to her department picnic on Friday night. They honored Jessica and had some of the yummiest fried chicken I've ever tasted. It was so hot out that night (apparently). Maddy and Aaron were sweating like crazy. I guess my Beaumont genes kicked in and saved me because I felt perfect almost the whole picnic.
Maddy is a cutie.

The celebration dinner after graduation. This is Aaron working on his 5 lbs of crawfish.
Us with Jessica at graduation. Congrats!
Maddy had a rough night. :) Actually she slept like a rock.
Out at Black Bayou for the canoeing adventure on Sunday afternoon. It was smoking and humid that day. You can see how hot and sweaty Maddy is, poor baby. Fortunately there were air conditioned buildings we could go into so we spent the majority of our time in them.

The canoe-ers. Aaron and I took a turn later. Mine didn't last very long because I kept feeling like I was going to tip the canoe over and Aaron and I were not good at working together so the canoe kept going in circles. I was also a little worried about alligators. Aaron and others who went back out saw some alligators in the bayou later. Apparently they were long, skinny ones. I think I should practice canoeing in a lake before I try to hang with the alligators.

Maddy had a couple of big doctor appointments this week. Monday she had another ABR to check how her hearing is going. They basically wanted to make sure that her hearing loss is not progressive. Things were holding steady and she had actually had very slight improvements in her left ear. On Tuesday we saw the neurosurgeon for the tethered spinal cord again and she will go back in November to get an MRI to make sure everything is stable. So far we do not have a reason to expect to have to do surgery so that is great news. We have physical therapy today and occupational therapy tomorrow so it is a busy week with appointments.

Comments

Brittany said…
Great wrap-up! Wish we could have been there. Well, except for the heat : ) Maddy looks toasted! Glad you had a good time and got to be outside. Did Aaron finish all 5 lbs? I've never had crawfish.
texasholls said…
Brittany--Not only did he finish the crawfish, he also ate some shrimp that some one didn't want and the potatoes and corn that come with the crawfish. I think 5lbs of crawfish shelled actually comes out around a 1/2lb of meat. That's the amount that Jessica's friend recommended for one person. Lots of work for not much food.
bee said…
I love the pic of Maddy in the tree. Her wake up pic is hilarious. Fun times. Great memories!
bee said…
Oh yeh, I forgot to say how pretty your yard is getting. Lots of work and good results.

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...