Skip to main content

The BIG events of January

 I can't believe January has already come and gone! I hoped when the year started that time wouldn't go by as fast as it did last year, but it looks like it isn't slowing down any time soon. About the middle of January Tammy and I did the Hot Chocolate 5K in Addison. It was fun. The weather was great for running a 5K and we got these awesome mugs for completing the race. Neither of us had even close to our best time as we hadn't been running since before Christmas. School started in the middle of January as well. Aaron's semester will be much less stressful as his teaching load is MUCH lighter than last semester; however, I started my foray into the world of teaching college and it has been an adventure. I feel like things are going pretty good so far. All of my students are supposed to turn in rough drafts of their first essay this week so I guess I'll see how much of my blabbing and in class practices and assignments have been getting through my students little skulls.
 Maddy continues to enjoy all the goodies she got for Christmas. She loves eating and reading books at her little table. Sometimes she will pick a stuffed animal to sit in the other chair. It is so cute. She has started crawling a lot lately. She still has trouble getting that left knee down all the time but she is really practicing her crawling. It is so great! She says all kinds of things and is starting to talk in complete sentences. "I love you", "Mama read book", "Watch a 'bebe'" (movie), "get doggies treats", "all done with cereal", and "dada get kiss" are a few examples of the kinds of sentences she's putting together.
 She has also really been enjoying coloring lately, especially with pens and especially with pens on herself and other people.

 Last weekend we went to Stock Show in Ft. Worth. It was very crowded because we went on a Saturday. I felt like I was in a herd of cows not looking at herds of cows. At first I was regretting that we even bothered, especially since I had horrible allergies that day, but we finally found an arena that wasn't crowded where we watched some people exercising their horse, including a lady who was driving a little buggy around, pulled by a miniature pony. Maddy was really fascinated with the pony/buggy. We sat and watched a while til I felt like my allergy meds were kicking in and then went to some other barns. Maddy thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the cows, sheep, and goats. She would get so mad every time we would leave a barn because she didn't want to stop looking at the animals. Fortunately there were always more animals to see. We finally found the Children's Barnyard where we saw different kinds of baby animals. Then we took Maddy to the petting zoo. Ummm...I think the petting zoo might have actually been the highlight of someone else's day. (see pics below). We also went through the Museum of Nature and Science because stock show tixs also got us into any museum we wanted for free. The fountain in the pic above is in front of the MONAS.


 After seeing what there was to see at stock show, we headed down town to Ricsky's (sp) BBQ. Everyone else had the same idea because there was a wait and the place was packed. It was worth it though for all you can eat ribs for under $10. Maddy loves ribs.

 The weather for stock show was beautiful, but it didn't last. Last night it turned nasty. A cold front blew in and we got freezing rain, sleet, and snow all through the early morning hours. Last I checked the temp was about 18 with a windchill of 9. Brrr! I nearly froze to death going out to take some pictures of the ice. The good thing about all of it is that Aaron and Tam got the day off because DBU closed since the roads are awful AND they don't have to go in til 10 tomorrow morning.



I leave you with this video of the best event of the month and the year so far. On Sunday, Maddy was able to stand a couple of times for a few seconds unsupported. Today we were able to get her doing this on video. She is so proud of her accomplishment and we are too!

Comments

Brandon E. said…
That is why they wear diapers. For the cushion to land on. You big sissy, we never got above 10 degrees today, and we will be below 0 in the morning. Our water froze up middle of the day, but I got it thawed.
Brittany said…
Go Maddy go!!! So exciting. I'm so glad you guys got off. BRR! I got hot today out and about in CA. Can't say I miss TX/OK at all.
bee said…
What a fun wkend! Way to go Maddy. You are so awesome.
Chrissy Cross said…
Once that girl starts walking you guys are in trouble. :) By the way, Maddy's blue eyes are just beautiful, that BBQ picture, she could be the Gerber baby. :) What a pumpkin.

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...