Skip to main content

K Walker

Yesterday we went to Scottish Rite for Maddy's 6 month follow up appointment. Two big things came out of her check up.
The first thing is that she will be having surgery on her legs soon to lengthen the tendons behind her knees. The surgery is called bilateral hamstring release. Depending on how things go they may only do the right knee and go back to do the left knee later. After her surgery she will be in casts for 6-8 weeks. Then she will get a new kind of KAFO with hinges that will allow her more mobility in walking. So of course were are asking everyone to be in prayer over her surgery as well as the recovery time afterwards. I don't think she's going to enjoy having big, bulky casts on her legs that make it hard to move around.
The second thing that happened is that Maddy got a K walker. I am ridiculously pumped about this thing, but it seriously is great. The best part is that Maddy loved it right away. The therapist brought it in for her to try out. I didn't put her in it right away because I didn't know if he needed to make adjustments. Well Maddy had a breakdown. She wanted to try it out and she wanted to try it out yesterday! The therapist said it was ready to go so I put her in and she immediately started cruising all over the place. No learning curve whatsoever. She knows how to get herself in and out of it. She will get in in it and say, "Walk to Mama!" and then do it, or "walk to Houdini" and then do it. Here are some pictures and video overload of her using the walker. Another great thing is that, unlike the stander, the walker moves easily on the carpet so she is not limited to where she can go with it (well except the stairs). The first video is kind of long and she spent more time "drinking coffee" than she did walking but I'm including it anyway, mostly for the enjoyment of the grandparents.
 
 

Comments

Drs Meyer said…
OH man!!!! That thing is GREAT!!!!!!!! Ahhhh, I love seeing those things. Poor baby girl she is gonna hate those casts after that fun...we'll be praying! Mom and i got the biggest kick out of seeing her drink her coffee and walk! :) she fits right in with the coffee drinking!
bee said…
This is just amazing!!!! I hope that she will still be able to move somehow in those casts. She has come so FAR! I love hearing her talk.
s&sjohnson08 said…
Coffee first! I love it!
I can't believe how big she is getting! Keeping all of you guys in our prayers!
Chrissy Cross said…
Wow! That is so great! I wonder if she will start taking steps without it? She will be a huge grouch in casts now that she has learned to walk in the walker. Sorry mama! But, we know the surgery is needed.
Jessica said…
Love the videos!!! The coffee cracked me up too! She's got her priorities right. I'm sure it's nice to have another coffee drinker at home since Aaron doesn't go after it. Coffee shared is even better than by yourself. :)
Brittany said…
Like mother like daughter...someone's been observing coffee habits : )
Man, those vids were great! Yay Maddy!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...