Skip to main content

Another Crazy Easter

Marking in the egg with a paraffin crayon before putting it in the dye
 It seems that we have only had one "normal" Easter since Maddy was born. The 1st Easter, she came home from NICU on Easter day and we has Subway sandwiches for Easter dinner. 2nd Easter was the "normal" Easter where we wore our Easter dresses to church, got some pics of Maddy in front of the tulips in our yard, had ham and the whole 9 yards for lunch. We did miss the neighborhood Easter egg hunt because we arrived 2 minutes after it started and it was already over.  3rd Easter, we came home Maddy's first major surgery at Scottish Rite that weekend and Maddy had purple casts up to her hips on both legs on Easter day. Some friends from church brought us Easter dinner. 4th Easter (this year) we were driving home from York on Easter day. We did a flying trip up there on Easter weekend for the President's Counsel thing that Aaron likes to be a part of. Unfortunately, my allergies kicked in big time the day we left to drive up and they were in full gear the whole time we were there. We stayed with the Coopers, which was great. We had such a good time with them. They are great hosts and so laid back about everything. Maddy had a great time playing with their little girl who is 5. We got to spend a lot of time with them this trip because we didn't do songfest or any of the other campus activities. We did take the kids to the children's theater in the morning. The play was The Wizard of OZ and Maddy really enjoyed it. I did enjoy the trip as much as I could but it seems that there is a jinx on me and going back to York. Last year, I burned my entire forearm with a pot of coffee in our hotel room and this year I had such a runny nose that I actually ended up with a scab on my nose from wiping it so much. Maybe next year, I can beat the jinx and be better company than I've been for the last two years.
dying the eggs

Ohhhhh...pink egg
 Since we weren't going to be here Easter weekend, we dyed eggs on Wednesday night after I got home from teaching class. Maddy had really bad allergies on this night so if the pictures look like she got punched in the eyes, that is why. Her poor little eyes were so swollen that night. She still managed to have a great time dying the eggs. She also loved peeling and eating them. She ate two eggs, minus the yolk. That part was too dry for her liking. She also enjoyed putting tattoos on the eggs and drawing on the with the paraffin crayons. She liked dying but her eggs didn't get very dark because she wasn't very patient about leaving them in the dye for a long time.

peeling the egg

taking a bite

The yolk is not her favorite part

Let's just concentrate on eating the good part

finished product
We did manage to take her Easter basket with us and gave it to her in the car on the way home. She got eggs shaped sidewalk chalk, some plastic Easter cups, and some candy. Maddy was really excited about Easter this year. She kept asking if it was "easter time" yet. We let her wear her Easter dress the Sunday before Easter since we wouldn't be at church on Easter. I will post those pics in a different post because that is also when we went to see the bluebonnets and take pictures down by DBU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...