Skip to main content

It's A.............

HEALTHY BABY! and most likely a girl. We had our 20 week sonogram today. We were both quite nervous as this was the time last pregnancy that we were hit with the crushing news that Maddy was not developing normally. We couldn't help but have some flashbacks to that day going into this sonogram. My OB sent us to a fetal maternal specialist for the 20 week sonogram. The tech did a great job putting us at ease and showing us everything on the sonogram. She could not determine gender for sure but thought because of the hip measurements that it might be a boy. She left the room convinced it was a boy. Then the doctor came in and did some more looking and she declared baby Fletcher to be a girl. So we are going with girl for now, but don't go crazy on the pink just yet. Baby Fletcher was not being cooperative so the doctor really did not get a definitive enough look to be 100% sure of gender. She just said that she did not see anything to indicate it was boy so she declared the gender to be girl.  While it would have been nice to get a 100% on gender, the most important thing is that the baby looks great, is moving, and is right on size for where she should be. Now to think of some names.
After the appointment we went to pick Maddy up at school. One of the first things she asked me was, "Did you get done with your doctor's appointment?" I guess she'd been anxiously awaiting the news about the baby as well. I said, "Yes, and guess what? We're having a sister!" I wish I would have thought to have a video camera for the reaction. She started jumping up and down and screaming in excitement. It was so great. However, later in the car she said, "Why aren't we having a brother?" Apparently she is still really pulling for the twins idea. Sorry Maddy, but it's not happening.
I have no pictures to post as of now. The sonogram pictures are bad. The way the baby was turned we could only see the face from the nose down and, personally, sonogram pictures never look like much more than a blob of gray to me anyway, unless people get the 3D pics, which we didn't because the tech said it wouldn't be any good because the baby wasn't looking up. My tummy is expanding. I've finally started gaining some weight in the second trimester, so that is good news. I will try to put up a tummy pic for posterity sometime in the next week or two.
Thanks to everyone for all of your prayers. Time for us to go celebrate the good news!

Comments

bee said…
Just can't get over the thankfulness that I feel. So very happy for all of you. CELEBRATE!!!!!
Brandon E. said…
Yay! Answered prayers.

Better be prepared with both boy and girl names!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...