Skip to main content

The Quarter System

So, for a while, I had been ending everyday feeling like I got the beat down. Also feeling like the slave of the family. Picking up everyone's junk, cleaning up after everyone, etc. Also, there had been lots of fighting between siblings. Constant. Incessant. Unending. I had tried everything: no dessert, no TV, miss out on this activity, miss out on that activity. Unphased. Then I came up with THE QUARTER SYSTEM. It is a very simple system. If you do not pick up after yourself (i.e. candy wrappers on the floor rather than in trash can) you will pay me a quarter for each item I pick up. Quarters are also charged for slowness, hitting, or extreme rudeness (such as pouring milk on your sister in the bed, which happened last night).
At the beginning I quickly found the way my plan might fail. My kid were very close to running out of money to pay me for all of the toys, candy wrappers, dirty dishes, etc. that they had forgotten to be responsible for, BUT, fortunately for my evil plan (BWAHAHAHAHA!) they quickly caught on that they were fast running out of a lovely little thing called MONEY and amazingly began exhibiting much more responsible and thoughtful behavior. I rarely charge a quarter now. Our church is collecting change to help with crisis pregnancies so the money the kids have to pay goes into those bottles right now.
Will THE QUARTER SYSTEM be the next new parenting rage? Probably not. Is it warping my kids in some unforeseen way that will only show up and destroy them when they are 40? I don't know. But it is keeping the sanity people. that is all that matters for now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
pahahahahahaha. That is hilarious. And pouring milk on her in bed? What the world? Hope it holds.
brittany

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...