Skip to main content

Chit Chat--1st presentation in grad school--puppies


Aaron being silly. He said he was hot. He is probably so ready to have our kid so I will stop taking pictures of the weird things he does and start taking pictures of the weird things the kid does.

Sweet puppies. 1 week old.

Mommy Abbey


Today is an absolutely gorgeous fall day in Dallas. The weather is so perfect and energizing. I love it! I don't like the cold of winter, but I love the crisp air and cool breeze of fall. I will have to pull out my fall decorations soon in honor of the weather.
The puppies were 1 week old yesterday. They are getting bigger and stronger although their eyes aren't open yet and they can still only army crawl around their little bed. A sad thing happened last Friday. The runt died. That was the day after we got their tails done. I felt so guilty because I think I shouldn't have had her tail and dew claws done until later, even if it did cost a little bit more. She was so small. But the problem was that I didn't realize she was the runt. I had had so little time to look at the puppies after they were born I thought that the liver and while female was the smallest and she was not that small compared to the other puppies. I did not realize that this other black and white female was the runt until after we took the puppies to the vet. We knew she was dehydrated after the vet's office but we let the puppies eat right away and tried to make sure that she always got to Abbey first, etc. She made it for a couple of days but Thursday night we could see she was doing really bad because she was so non-responsive when we picked her up and the next morning she was dead. So that is our little drama of the week.
I did my first ever presentation for grad school today. I was really prepared so I didn't feel too bad about it, but when I got up to talk I was suddenly ridiculously nervous. I always get nervous presenting in front of people. I think I was able to control it and have a good presentation though. Since none of these people really know me I don't think they could actually tell how intensely nervous I was. The teacher said I did exactly what she wanted and I had several students tell me good job and one girl said it was very interesting. If I interested just one person that is great. That is better than boring the whole class out of their minds. My presentation was about governesses and their social position in Victorian society.
Other things that have been going on---we ate at Tricia's on Saturday night. She made some really delicious soup. That was the day we were getting some rain showers off of Ike so that was a really good thing to have. It wasn't really cold though and we didn't get much rain or wind. The forecasters way over exaggerated how intense it was going to be in our area. Our small group started again two Sunday's ago so we've been going to that. It has been nice to see friends once a week for sure again. I have been feeling great for anyone who is wondering about that. I do get tired much easier than I used to. If I don't get 7-8 hours of sleep at night and then don't get any naps either, I am wasted. That happened last weekend and the Monday and Tuesday because of school. I didn't get good sleep on the weekend and then Monday's and Tuesdays are never restful. Monday night I was just wiped out. I am going to try to not let myself do that again because that's probably not healthy. I have my second appointment next Tues. I will be 12 weeks. I have no idea what the plan is for the appointment. I don't know if I will be doing tests, trying to hear the baby's heart beat, or just a quick check up to make sure everything looks okay. I kind of hate not knowing but at the same time if they are going to do some uncomfortable test, it's probably better that I don't dread it for a month before I go in. The state fair starts next Friday! Right now it seems that plans are for Jessica to come down the weekend of Tricia's birthday and that we will all go to the fair. Ethan said he was planning to come that weekend as well so it should be fun. I love the fair. Definitely one of the things worth living in Dallas for. The Dallas/Eagles game is tonight! I will be watching most likely. Go cowboys. Yes, I used to despise the cowboys but now that ache face and dion are history I kind of like them. I could do with out all the press Jessica Simpson gets vicariously through the Cowboys though.
One more thing:
I thought of this song randomly while I was cleaning my bathroom the other day. I was scrubbing my shower floor with comet and this popped into my head after years of not thinking of it. This is a song Chrissy and I made up way back in Jessie's Cabin days in honor of a restaurant called Comet in Santa Rosa.
Comet
Comet will make your teeth turn green.
Comet will make your mouth feel clean.
Comet will make you vomit.
So get some comet and vomit today!

I think we missed our calling writing jingles for commercials.

Comments

Jennifer said…
nice jingle... :-)

sorry about the runt. so sad!! glad the others are doing well though.

have you had your physical exam yet at your docs? bloodwork? if not, they will do that. otherwise, probably just find the heartbeat with a doppler for the first time, and check your weight, etc, and see how you're doing. it's so fun to hear that HB for the first time!! enjoy!
Chrissy Cross said…
I'm sure they will check the baby's heartbeat. Yeah! I love hearing the heartbeat for the first time. It makes you realize that there is actually a little person in there somewhere.

And as for comet....hmmmmm, the creativity never ceases to amaze.
Brittany said…
Abbey looks sooo cute! She looks really happy and I love how her paw is curled to look like she's cradling the puppies. Just an adorable pic. Can't wait to see the puppies!
Brittany said…
so weird. Last night I sang that song, and I hadn't read this blog yet. We sang pretty much the same song when I was in elementary school. weird.
Jessica said…
Until this day I thought that song was about the comet that you clean with. hahahaha Way to go on your presentation! I don't have any for a couple of more weeks. Hopefully I can pull mine off like you did. :) Sounds like preparation is the key.
the libbys said…
hahaha! twins! wouldn't that be a riot! we'd be broke the rest of our lives! :) i'm still not buying anything until week 20 when they confirm, though....just in case it changes! maybe they'll surprise you at week 16, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...