Skip to main content

On The Fourth Day of Kenya, Maddy said to me, "Elephants! Hippos! Monkeys!"

Maddy in front of the hippo area.
 The latest from Aaron:


Wow today was amazing!!!  Kwembekenya is up in the mountains....I felt like I was at the Grand Mesa....it was awesome.  We saw the clinic that was recently built....we would think it was a dump in America but there it is really amazing!   We then went to the school.  There was another school from another community visiting and some of those kids were actually scared of us b/c they hadn't seen a white person before.  The kids from Kwembekenya were very friendly b/c they are use to whites from 410 missions in the past.  Brent Meredith was called "Fat Ghost"   it was hilarious...the kids were brutally honest calling glenn and chuck fat to!  Too funny.

This is a video of the clinic we saw and the area we were in.
http://www.410bridge.org/change-kenya/where-we-serve/kwambekenya/



We got back a little early, so instead of just sitting in our room we went to the lake and did a Hippo tour for only 25 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was very impressive.  We then parked and they walked us through an area with zebra, impalas, wildebeest, gazelles, water bucks, and giraffes.  I couldn't believe how close we were to some of them.  I have pics.


While Aaron was doing his hippo tour, Maddy was on a mission to find some hippos as well. We met up with the Embry family in Ft. Worth, had lunch at Subway, and then went to the Ft. Worth Zoo. Before we even got to the zoo, Maddy was talking about the hippos. She has just been obsessed with hippos lately. It is funny. Anyway, after several times getting lost, we finally found our way to the hippo area.
Embry cousins and Maddy at the Zebra area.
Maddy was super fascinated by this turtle chasing the fish.
She also loves the elephants. She kept making a trunk with her arm and then she tried to tell Rachel about what the Elephants were doing. It came out something like, "Elephants! Right there! Elephants!.. jibber jabber jibber... Elephants! Right there! Elephants. ..Jibber jibber...Elephants!" Too cute.
 Maddy didn't make it to the Australian animals that we did in the end. She was wiped out. We all had a great time. Especially the kids. I'm really glad we got to go and it was also neat that we got to see a super safe, toned down version of what Aaron had just seen in Kenya. Kind of made it feel not so many thousands of miles away.

Comments

bee said…
How FUN!!!! Now Maddy can relate to Dada's hippo hunting and his trip to Kenya and all the animals there.
Jennifer said…
Ft Worth zoo is awesome! I took Abriella when I was pregnant with Colby. It was our little mommy-daughter outing prior to baby brother's arrival. One of the best zoos out there!
Drs Meyer said…
Love the pictures!!!! keep up the posting...the zoo sounds great!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...