Skip to main content

Here and there projects

front yard and scarlet maple
Many of you won't care about this minutia on home improvements but for those of you who are interested.... Since we've moved into this house, neither Aaron nor I have been very interested in doing much in the way of home improvement projects. I guess we always felt like we were going to be moving sooner than later and it wasn't worth all the effort. While this saved us money, it didn't really make the house feel like our home either. Last summer, hoping to sell the house in the fall, we did some landscaping in the yard. That was fun, but we didn't really do much over the winter. We were thinking of putting the house on the market this spring, but decided against it. The timing just didn't seem right. So with that decision behind us, it just felt like time to do some simple and fairly inexpensive projects to make our house a place we want to live. The first project I undertook this year was painting the living area and dining area. That turned out great. I also got a new couch cover and throw pillows for the living area. About the same time I ordered some trees from Gurney's. We got a Scarlet Maple for the front and three hybrid poplars for the west side of the house. We had planted a mystery tree that came up in the front flowerbed last fall and as you can see, it is doing great.
west side of house, mystery tree (sycamore?), and hybrid poplars.

front flowerbed. I put in a couple of new plants because one of the perennials I had got killed in the ice storm.

front flowerbed. Just because I think it looks so great right now!

 The next thing we did was get a couple of drawings I did three years ago framed. I had done the one on the left for a project in a class I took and then drew another one at home, always having in mind that I'd get them framed for the living room since I really liked the colors and the large size would be good for the monstrous wall we have in there. Finally, my dream came true for Mother's day. Aaron took me to Hobby Lobby and we got them framed. Aaron doesn't like abstract as a rule but he said that he does like these and likes them on that wall so score for me! (or he's lying but we'll just pretend he loves them).
 The next project was to move some furniture around. I was really starting to hate the table in the dining room. A table on carpet is a bad, BAD idea with a kid. I finally persuaded Aaron to help me move the table into the kitchen and there is no going back. Aaron has never admitted that he likes the new arrangement, but it is wonderful. It also freed up the dining area to be a play area/office, which I love because the dining area seemed really crowded with Maddy's shelves, toys, and table when the dining table was in there and it allowed us to get the desk out of the living room which makes that area more spacious. WIN WIN WIN.
Looks like we just had a massacre in here.

got tomatoes in the garden and that is about it. They are doing great with all the rain we've had though.

 This is the improvement that I am most proud of. I found a table, 5 chairs, umbrella, chaise chair, AND gas grill for $150 on our neighborhood email. It was a great deal and we literally only had to move everything half a block. We love being able to use the gas grill and love sitting outside when it is nice and eating dinner outside. It is really nice to be able to use our backyard space for us rather than a glorified dog pen only.
This is the wall in the living room the desk was on. It looked like a sore thumb after moving the desk so I painted it and it has really improved the look of the living area. I think we are pretty much done with home improvement stuff for a while. I'd love to get a lamiate floor in the living/office/play area, but I have a feeling that's a ways away.

Comments

Drs Meyer said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I think the improvements are grand! I like that you've freed up the space for play and the colors are good for your paintings :) Can't wait to see it again in person!!!
Brittany said…
Looks beautiful! I love home improvements!
bee said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
bee said…
ok will try again. I absolutely love all the improvements. Want to come and do a home make over for me?

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...