Skip to main content

I survived my first semester of teaching......and other things going on around here

 





Yes, I made it. Finals have been given, group grading gotten through, and final grades will soon be posted. If I could put my learning curve on some kind of graph I think it would be a vertical line shooting up exponentially through the course of the semester. I had NO idea what I was doing when I walked into the classroom my first day. All I could do was call on the small amount of poker playing skills I had and bluff my way through. I'm definitely still a novice but I have so many ideas for teaching. grading systems, student assignments, etc. next semester that I am  really excited to try out. But first, I am excited to have the summer off and take a break. The past school year  has been crazy with me finishing my masters and graduating and going straight into teaching two classes; my poor brain just needs a break. I am very proud to say, however, that ALL of my students passed the final. Unfortunately not all of them passed the class. :( And I had an incidence of plagiarism in each class which was not fun to deal with. It is disappointing that these students would cheat, but even more disappointing that they don't have enough faith in themselves that they have good ideas and the ability to express those ideas on a piece of paper. I know other factors play into plagiarism such as laziness, pressure for grades, and the time crunch at the end of the semester, but I really think that the issue of plagiarism comes down to a person not thinking their ideas are good enough. If you truly believe that your ideas are valid and worth sharing then you will not stoop to using another person's work. ANYWAY, enough about that. My main feelings after the semester are freedom and relief. Which makes me question how much I actually enjoyed my experience, but I need to do it a second time at least to really know. Also, today at the grading session for the finals, the dept. chair told me that she wants me to be on a committee to restructure Engl. 1302. I haven't even taught that class so  I don't know what I could possibly bring to the table. Plus being on committees and going to meetings in on my list with such things as scrubbing toilets, picking up dog poop, and cleaning gum off the bottom of my shoes. Nevertheless, I'll probably say yes. After all it will look good on the resume, although I'm not exactly sure what I'm building this resume up for.....
Meanwhile, Maddy is getting funnier and more creative all the time. The first video shows her using her imagination. She is starting to introduce ideas into conversation and play without us giving the idea to her. It is really neat to see. The second video is her going through the animal sounds. She often initiates this little game as well. I am looking forward to having the summer free to spend more time with Maddy when I'm not feeling stressed from the pile of grading I know is sitting on the computer.

Comments

Brandon E. said…
Funny stuff. Her hair looks cute. Looks like she is getting to that stage where she will try to repeat most everything she hears.

You want a good resume for when you guys move to Bovina and need a new job.
bee said…
Maddy you are a riot! Between you and Bethany, I have had a lot of laughs today. Keep us laughing!
Drs Meyer said…
Loved the videos and talking by MM!!! Mom and I were cracking up at her :) Know you did a GREAT job teaching the kiddos at DBU and I know that they were blessed with you as their teacher. And, I second your opinions on meetings. Rank right up there with bad gas!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...