Skip to main content

Forth Worth Arts Festival and My Small Bid for Artistic Recognition--among other things


Last Saturday we went over to Ft. Worth to the Art Festival on Main Street. We went because it was free and we were interested in checking out Ft. Worth. We had a really fun day. We walked around for 2 or 3 hours looking at art and listening to live bands and other performers. Some of the art was incredible, some was weird, and one booth was downright obscene, but it was all very interesting and though provoking and a great place to get ideas for decorating or creating your own art. Aaron is very fun to go to these types of things with because he has a certain opinion about what art should be (mainly realistic) and it is hilarious to hear his comments about stuff that doesn't meet his criteria for good art. Some of the things he said were very true and I hope the artist didn't hear him, but I can't guarantee it because he gets kind of loud when voicing his opinions. Some of my favorites were the people who did drawings, probably because I am taking a class in drawing right now and I understand how to appreciate all the types of drawing and techniques. They had one guy who just scribbled and ended up making really cool pictures of road runners, dogs, people, etc. There was also a guy from Westminster,CO who did very realistic pencil sketches which I really had to admire because I was in the middle of having to do pencil sketches for class. I didn't really see in sculpture that was very impressive, but they had a lot of really neat woodworking, pottery, photographs, and paintings. We had a gift card for Chili's so we ate there in downtown Ft. Worth for lunch. It was right in the middle of where the art festival was going on.
Today I entered 3 pieces in the art show for the college where I'm taking my drawing class. The show starts on Monday. I don't think I have a very high chance of getting in, but it never hurts to try. Plus I got extra credit for entering so at least I got that if nothing else. I had the audacity to put a price on one of my drawings in case it did get into the show. I entered the puppy drawing that most of you saw last month in EET and I also entered a contour line portrait of a classmate and a pen and ink drawing of some paint brushes. Unfortunately, everyone in my class also entered work and many of them, like the paint brushes, are very similar because it is a beginning class and we all do the same thing so that makes the odds even lower that many of us, if any of us, will get into the show.
The picture at the top is of Seal by some geraniums I planted for our front steps this weekend. It makes the front of our house look so much better to have the geraniums on the steps. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I can set my camera to take black and white and sepia toned pictures so I've been playing with that. Kind of fun.
So, question of the day--What kind of art most impresses you? Painting? Drawing? Crocheting? Woodwork? Sculpture? Collage? Do you enjoy abstract and non-objective works of art, or do you think art is not art unless it is realistic?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love love love portraits. But old ones, not new ones. Modern portraiture seems strange. I appreciate painting the most. Good luck with the entries!! Let us know what happens!
brittany
Chrissy Cross said…
I like more realistic stuff, but sometimes something abstract will really strike me as fantastic. I try to keep an open mind. I really like Monet. I also like Ansel Adams, and most all black and white photography, so I like your picture of Seal, it looks artistic to me. Anyway. I hope my kids get Brian's artistic side, he is an excellent artist, He does really great pencil sketches.
Brandon E. said…
My granddad Clark has always done woodwork. We have lots of his stuff around, so I can really appreciate hand-made furniture. On paintings I am a lot like Aaron. If it is really weird and you can't tell what it is it isn't art in my opinion. Hope you do good at the show.
Jessica said…
Metal art might be my favorite. I've seen some really weird things, but some cool pieces also. There used to be a metal art guy in our neighborhood in Utah and his stuff was always cool to me. Hope your pieces get in the show!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...