Skip to main content

Graduation





Graduation was great! Okay the actual ceremony was pretty boring, but all the events surrounding it were fantastic. It was super special to have Aaron get to be so close to the stage as faculty as I walked across and got my diploma. DBU does not skimp on the diplomas by the way. Those things are nice! Maddy, Tammy, Grams, and Mema all got to be at the ceremony and my wonderful friend Sandra made it as well. Talk about a dedicated friend! :) Aaron planned a great party for me and lots of friends stopped by to give their congratulations. People have overwhelmed me with cards and gifts to celebrate me being done with my degree, BUT I have a lot of people to thank because I definitely didn't do this by myself, so here goes:

First I have to thank my wonderful husband, Aaron. He negotiated a contract with DBU when he got hired that said that I could get my masters for free. Normally DBU does not give discounts for graduate level classes even if you are related to someone working there. He supported me and encouraged me every step of the way and kept me going when I felt like I was just not going to make it through school with everything else going on. He took time out of his schedule to watch Maddy while I was in class. (She often destroyed his office and knock out him being able to get much done for the afternoon while he was watching her.) He proofread most of my papers and listened to me practice some of my presentations. This past semester, if he couldn't watch Maddy, he arranged for Tricia or someone else to watch her while I went to class or went to work on papers. He put up with my stress and irritability and agreed to take us out to eat wherever I felt like I just didn't have time to cook or needed a break. He prayed for me constantly and never let me give up. As my Mema said while she was at our house, I could not have made it without him.

I also have to thank my beautiful daughter, Maddy for being my inspiration. When I felt like giving up she inspired me to keep going to be an example to her of how to stay with something and finish it even when it is challenging. She also kept life in perspective and reminded me that while school is good and important, there are things that are so much more important than school work and grades.

Thanks to my family members for their support through the past 2 and 1/2 years. My parents, Brian and Estelle prayed for me, listened to my stories about my crazy teachers or interesting assignments, and were always supportive and encouraging of me to get my degree. My sisters, Cindy and Tammy were great encouragers as well. Cindy kept me sane in my long night class by sending me texts and Tammy was always willing to pitch in hand in keeping an eye on Maddy during the evenings Aaron wasn't at home and she was a great study buddy this semester. My brother, Ethan came all the ways from Abilene through 4 traffic jams just to be at my graduation party. My grandparents also prayed for me often and were great supporters as well. A special thanks to Mema who came down for my graduation and made her delicious rolls for my party.

Thanks to Grams (Aaron's grandmother) for coming down to my graduation and always being a great encourager to get as much education as I could.

A big, big thanks to Tricia and Rachel who were always willing to watch Maddy for me to work on school or to just let me go on a date with Aaron. This last semester would not have happened without Tricia being willing to watch Maddy so many times while I went down the road to Starbucks to beat my brains out over a paper.

I don't think either Aaron or I would have made it the past few years without our very dear friend, Dr. Griffith. Her support, advice, encouragement, help, and mentorship were and are invaluable. She got us through the tough pregnancy with Maddy, was a rock for the two weeks Maddy was in NICU, and has always been willing to be a listening ear about any difficulties with Maddy ,work, and school. She has also watched Maddy for us numerous times. She also helped Aaron plan my graduation party. She has been an example and inspiration to me about how someone can go through tough times, juggle career and kids, and still be a giving and caring person who is willing to help others.

Thanks to all extended family members who have prayed, written emails of encouragement.

Thanks to all of my teachers at DBU who really challenged me in my class but also made them interesting and worthwhile.

Most of all I have to thank God for putting all of these people in my life and giving me the health and strength--mental, physical, and emotional--to get through the past two and half years. Many people and families choose a verse for themselves or their family. This past semester I feel like the verse that God has chosen as a promise for our family (me, Aaron, Maddy) is Phillipians 1:6, "He who begin a good work in you will carry it on to completion." Graduation and being done with my Masters is a big deal and a big relief to me, but it is only a step in the work God is doing in my life. I am excited (and nervous) about the next step(s) that God has for me, and for my family to complete his good work in us.

Comments

bee said…
Awesome post as usual! I am so blessed to have you as my daughter and to feel such joy and pride in your accomplishments and in your thankfulness to so many. I know you will be God's instrument in a new phase just as you have been his instrument up to this point. You are an example to me and to many others. God's fullest blessings and guidance as you start the next step. Love you
Blabber said…
Once again.... You rock!
Drs Meyer said…
I'm more proud that I can even tell you, Master Holly! I am really thankful to have been there to help and play with my favorite Fletcher baby, and thank you and Aaron for being rocks for me and for being so generous to let us stay at your house whenever we want to and cook, clean, help any of us when things were crazy (helping me move - yikes!). Love you 3!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building the

Another Sonogram

We went to the high risk pregnancy doc today for another sonogram. This time he could see all four chambers of the heart, the pulmonary valve, etc. In his words it looked "dramatically better". He feels there is still some slight compression on the heart and that we need to continue watching it. As of now he cannot see anything that is causing it and the MRI did not see anything either. He also felt that the hands were okay. They are not clenched fists at least as he first thought, meaning that the fingers aren't overlapping each other. Her hands are still in fists and she won't open them but he said he has had other babies that have not opened their fist in the sonogram but the hands have been normal at birth, so we still have a lot of hope for those little hands. He was able to get a better look at the face today, no cleft palate, so that is a huge blessing. The feet are still concerning. They are definitely clubbed but she is also not moving them. She is moving her

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today we found out we were having a little girl. One year ago today, the OB called us into his office and told us that Maddy was not going to survive. One year ago today God heard the prayers of many friends and family and he started working a miracle. One year ago today I thought I would never see my precious little girl alive. One year ago today I was so shocked I didn't and couldn't feel anything but disbelief. One year ago today, God started planning that today a little girl named Madeline Mae Fletcher would be by my side as I write this, talking and playing with her stuffed cow that Aunt Tammy gave her. One year ago today God set out to prove that he is faithful and he hears his people's prayers and that he still does miracles. Today is bittersweet because one year ago today our dreams and plans we had for our new life with our baby girl were destroyed. But one year ago today God started making a new plan to give us a different dream and a different plan.