Skip to main content

First Word

First word? you may be thinking. Hasn't Maddy been a chatter box for several years now? Yes, yes she has. But, today, Maddy read her first word with no pictures or context to clue her into what the word she recognized might actually be. We were doing errands and stopped to fill up at Kroger. Maddy has gotten into this thing where she likes to get out and "help" by doing her version of "cleaning" the windows with the  squeegee. She didn't get to do that today because, much to her chagrin, the squeegee was missing. Instead she "helped" me pump gas. At the end, when it asks you if you want a receipt, press yes or no, I had picked her up to put her in the car. I quickly pressed "NO" on the keypad and turned to put her in the car. She asked, "Mommy, why did you say no?" Used to automatically fielding about 2.78 billion "why" questions a day, I automatically started to reply, "Because I didn't want a........" and then it hit me. "Maddy you read 'no'! Did you know that you could read? You read your first word!" Funny that it was "no". There's always the joke that it's the first word that kids learn to say, but in Maddy's  case I guess it goes for reading too.
http://www.pumpkey.com/883127-001.jpg
http://www.pumpkey.com/883127-001.jpg    

Comments

Ms. Embry said…
Yayy!!! There is nothing I love more than seeing kids learn to read! I get so excited when in the library I can get my little Pre-K and Kinder kids to read a few words...it amazes me to see the little wheels turning in their brains and realize they are learning the most important skill they will ever obtain. It is not surprising that Maddy might be an early reader as she was so early to learn her letters and sounds and she spends so much time with books. Anyways, I love this post! :)
Anonymous said…
Go Maddy go!!
brittany
bee said…
Maddy you are on your way to doing one of your.favorite things........,.READING. Way to go.
Anonymous said…
Yay! How cool!

Amanda

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...