Skip to main content

Aahah Aah Ahh, I hear the voice of spring....

If you don't know where the title to this blog came from, you've missed the best Three Stooges episode ever made. Well at least one of the top three.
Anyhow, spring has arrived in DFW. Even though my birthday is Two days before spring begins, I always think of my birthday as the beginning of spring. I had a really great birthday. Tammy came on Tuesday night and watched the girls while Aaron and I went to dinner at one of our favorite local restaurants. I got chicken Marsala and Aaron got pasta with the kitchen sink which had a tomato sauce, chicken, sausage, shrimp, artichokes, and olives. Then we went to Kohl's and I got to pick out a new purse and wallet. I am thoroughly enjoying them I haven't had a new bag or wallet in years so what I had was literally falling apart. We also Shopped for some birthday gifts for Maddy. On the way home we stopped at Cafe Brazil and got coffee and dessert to go. I got chocolate cake, Aaron got carrot and we got Tam a slice of Italian creme cake.
My actual birthday was pretty relaxed for the most part. I treated myself to sitting down and filling out my march madness bracket, which is now waiting for it's final pass through the paper shredder in the sweet 16 round this weekend. In the afternoon we went shoe shopping for Maddy. She had gotten a new AFO from Scottish Rite the day before. Per usual, it is crap. We will have to go have it remade. Of course we did not discover this until we spent a huge chunk of change on two pairs of shoes because she needed two different sizes to accommodate the AFO. That isn't unusual, but it is normally one size different. Not three sizes different. Maddy cried through the whole ordeal and I felt like joining her. We went to stride right because they have wide width but they didn't have wide width in every size. We finally found some sliver Ariel light up shoes that worked. Maddy was not sold on them but they were the only ones in the store we could find that somewhat worked, so in trying to convince her that these shoes were great, I said, "I bet if you sent a picture of these to Bethany she'd be jealous." So Maddy decided she wanted to buy a pair for Bethany. We said no and she immediately broke down bawling again saying, "But I don't want to make her jealous!" Smh. Lesson learned. Bad motivation anyway. Also, Kelsay dumped her entire sippy cup of milk on herself while there and I didn't have a change of clothes so had to stop at Carter's and get something for her to change into since that happened right at the beginning of the whole excursion. It was quite the shopping trip.
At the end, Maddy used her own money to pay for a train ride. Kelsay was free.
I vote Kelsay March Madness poster baby.
Other things we've been doing: making summer like dessert. Maddy came home with a recipe to go with the Queen of Hearts rhyme.
We decided to finally repaint the master bedroom. After having several long term guest s in that room it looked awful. I had white washed oak and rolling prairie leftover from painting the downstairs bathroom a couple of years ago so we used that. Made for a cheap project. I'm pleased with the way it came together. I'd like to redo the furniture at some point. I have mixed feelings about it because the headboard, nightstand, and dresser were my mom's growing up and then me and my sisters, but they are so scratched and dinged from many moves and much use. If I do redo them I'll probably use a cream with a hint of ochre mixed in and let the original brown show through as the distressed color underneath.

After a rainy weekend and weeks of gray sky, our weather has finally turned off gorgeous. We celebrated spring yesterday by making a fire in the fire pit and,roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. Kids had a great time. At one point, Kelsay heard a bird chrirping in a tree. She stopped, looked at me, pointed to the tree and said,very clearly," A birdie?" I think she's been learning bird watching from Maddy.







Of course it's not spring til you've had a good splash in a mud puddle.
Today's agenda: tilling and planting the garden. YES!!!
Happy spring everyone!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can't wait to see what you plant! I need to get on our garden, but I'm enjoying the flowers so much I haven't gotten to it. Happy birthday!
brittany

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building the

Another Sonogram

We went to the high risk pregnancy doc today for another sonogram. This time he could see all four chambers of the heart, the pulmonary valve, etc. In his words it looked "dramatically better". He feels there is still some slight compression on the heart and that we need to continue watching it. As of now he cannot see anything that is causing it and the MRI did not see anything either. He also felt that the hands were okay. They are not clenched fists at least as he first thought, meaning that the fingers aren't overlapping each other. Her hands are still in fists and she won't open them but he said he has had other babies that have not opened their fist in the sonogram but the hands have been normal at birth, so we still have a lot of hope for those little hands. He was able to get a better look at the face today, no cleft palate, so that is a huge blessing. The feet are still concerning. They are definitely clubbed but she is also not moving them. She is moving her

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today we found out we were having a little girl. One year ago today, the OB called us into his office and told us that Maddy was not going to survive. One year ago today God heard the prayers of many friends and family and he started working a miracle. One year ago today I thought I would never see my precious little girl alive. One year ago today I was so shocked I didn't and couldn't feel anything but disbelief. One year ago today, God started planning that today a little girl named Madeline Mae Fletcher would be by my side as I write this, talking and playing with her stuffed cow that Aunt Tammy gave her. One year ago today God set out to prove that he is faithful and he hears his people's prayers and that he still does miracles. Today is bittersweet because one year ago today our dreams and plans we had for our new life with our baby girl were destroyed. But one year ago today God started making a new plan to give us a different dream and a different plan.