Skip to main content

The Quarter System

So, for a while, I had been ending everyday feeling like I got the beat down. Also feeling like the slave of the family. Picking up everyone's junk, cleaning up after everyone, etc. Also, there had been lots of fighting between siblings. Constant. Incessant. Unending. I had tried everything: no dessert, no TV, miss out on this activity, miss out on that activity. Unphased. Then I came up with THE QUARTER SYSTEM. It is a very simple system. If you do not pick up after yourself (i.e. candy wrappers on the floor rather than in trash can) you will pay me a quarter for each item I pick up. Quarters are also charged for slowness, hitting, or extreme rudeness (such as pouring milk on your sister in the bed, which happened last night).
At the beginning I quickly found the way my plan might fail. My kid were very close to running out of money to pay me for all of the toys, candy wrappers, dirty dishes, etc. that they had forgotten to be responsible for, BUT, fortunately for my evil plan (BWAHAHAHAHA!) they quickly caught on that they were fast running out of a lovely little thing called MONEY and amazingly began exhibiting much more responsible and thoughtful behavior. I rarely charge a quarter now. Our church is collecting change to help with crisis pregnancies so the money the kids have to pay goes into those bottles right now.
Will THE QUARTER SYSTEM be the next new parenting rage? Probably not. Is it warping my kids in some unforeseen way that will only show up and destroy them when they are 40? I don't know. But it is keeping the sanity people. that is all that matters for now.


Anonymous said…
pahahahahahaha. That is hilarious. And pouring milk on her in bed? What the world? Hope it holds.

Popular posts from this blog

D.C. Trip

On Veteran's Day weekend, we went to D.C. and Frederick, MD to see Tammy and Jeff. We got to D.C. after midnight on Thursday. Kids maybe got in bed around 1 or 1:30 and Aaron and I maybe by 2. It was exhausting. Our flight started in the Springs, then we had a stop in Dallas and flew from there to D.C. Our hotel had a shuttle bus that went right to the National Mall. Tammy met us at our hotel about 10 on Friday morning, we took the shuttle and proceeded to the Mall.
 It was cold and VERY windy on Friday so we ended up going to many of the Smithsonian museums located on the mall. Our first stop was the Smithsonian Castle which is the original Smithsonian building. The founder of the Smithsonian is interred in the foyer. The castle has a display that gives a sample of what you can see at each museum. It also has a program that you can plan what you want to see and then it will email you a map and a plan for all of your stops.

 Maddy found this statue of a nude so interesting she t…

Christmas/New Year

We went to Montrose/Grand Junction to celebrate Christmas. Kelsay got the stomach bug on Christmas Day. It didn't stop her from enjoying the scooter she and Maddy got from "Santa" aka Uncle John and Auntie Sherry.
Maddy and I got the stomach bug a couple days after Christmas. Then we traveled to Farwell/Lubbock for New Years.
Other news is that the girls got pets for Christmas. Maddy got a teddy bear hamster she named Pumpkin and Kelsay got a beta fish she named Kelsay. The hamster bit Kelsay on the finger so now Kelsay keeps her distance. She enjoys feeding the beta fish. Maddy loves the hamster. She is very particular about what kind of food it eats, what kind of bedding it has, it's environment etc. She researched hamsters for at least 2 months before she got her hamster. I really think there is nothing you could ask her about a hamster that she would not be able to answer. She even wrote a book about hamster care in a notebook. It has 13 chapters. Each "chap…

Rachel's Visit

We had a fantastic visit with Rachel this weekend. My parents picked her up in Denver Friday night. I am sure they had a lot of fun Friday night and Saturday morning, but we didn't get to participate in that part. On Saturday we had a day filled with lots of family from both sides of the aisle. Aaron's dad was in Denver for a conference. He stayed at the ranch on Friday night so met us at our property late Saturday morning to see the house and how it was coming. My parents and Rachel met us there as well. We were also watching Theyben and Dustin for the day so the girls had some fun cousin time. We hung out at the property for awhile and then went back to our house in Divide for lunch. Aaron's Dad took off after lunch and the rest of us went hiking at Mueller State Park. I had never been before and definitely want to go back. We are considering getting a state park pass. It is so close we could go often. The visitor center was fun for the kids. THey had a animal track ex…