Skip to main content

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days.
At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a little bit about our pregnancy complications with the class and the teacher had just contacted this lady for us out of the goodness of her heart to see if she was available. Well it was so wierd because as soon as she started telling us about this lady and why she thought she might be helpful to us I had one of those moments where you just get that feeling "this is why we were in the class with this teacher at this time." Kind of crazy but I felt that so strongly that I went and looked the lady's website up and contacted her and now we are meeting with her on Wednesday. The reasons that we're interested is that we both feel like we may need extra emotional support during labor because of the roller coaster we've been on. It's scary enough to go through labor for the first time without having that nagging how is my baby going to turn out thought at the back of your mind. Secondly we think she can really help us advocate what we want to the doctors and the hospital. Because of litigation sometimes doctors and hospitals are over protective in these cases--for example we do NOT want an induction unless there is a valid medical reason for it. I also want to breastfeed and I think the doula will be helpful in getting us started on that and in talking to the hospital staff so that we can have the baby with us if at all possible. I know they take the baby an hour after it is born and do some tests and things but I don't know what kind of extra rigamarole we'll have to go through given our history. Some of this may be unfounded fears, but it would be great to have someone there in case we have to deal with any of them. She charges a very affordable rate for her help so we'll decide for sure if this is what we want after we meet with her Wednesday. I do have to say that I feel like a hippy even thinking about this, but it is crazy how often you end up doing things you never thought you'd consider.
Last night our small group gave us a baby shower along with the other two couples in our group who are having babies. The shower was beautiful and they were so generous. They made a soup and salad dinner and had cupcakes with the babies' initials for dessert. We played several games and they gave us diapers and wipes and books among other gifts. We were really blessed by their generosity. The bedroom I'm keeping everything in is getting full. :) We are so blessed to have great friends here in Dallas. The hostesses took some pictures so hopefully I can eventually get some of those and put them up so ya'll can see how great the shower was.
Tomorrow is the day for the dreaded glucose test. I'm going at 8 in the morning. That works with Aaron's schedule and I don't want to have to wait any longer to eat breakfast! It has been interesting trying to schedule all these doctor things with only one car, but it has worked out. Just proves that it's all what you are used to I guess.
School also starts tomorrow. I have two internet classes and one class on Monday night. I get a reprieve from the Monday night class one more week since it's MLK day today. Aaron did not get today off so he's at work right now. :(

Comments

bee said…
I think the birthing coach is a GREAT idea. Hope this lady proves to be the right one. God works in mysterious ways. Good luck on the glucose test. Waiting for baby shower pics and one of the expanding Maddy.
: )
bee said…
Oops! I meant the "growing" Maddy.
the libbys said…
funny you bring up natural/hippy birth...I never thought i'd want it either, but the more i read, the more i think i might try and head that direction. i just love how God is continuing to speak directly to you and aaron. and i love hearing the stories. it's so fun to share a pregnancy with you! and if you get shower pictures, send them my direction. i always take my camera, but never any pictures. :(
Chrissy Cross said…
Hey I don't think you are being hippy at all. I think it is extrememly important to have someone you are comfortable with in the delivery room. I have done birth with and without induction and with and without pain meds, and my babies have all been fine. I know your situation is a little different, but I know God will work through the situation to allow you a wonderful opportunity to bring a beautiful baby girl into the world. However she gets here, we will be thankful she is here. By the way, I sent a few things for you with Tricia. Good luck on the glucose test, I threw up on one of mine, but the other two I did ok, so good luck.
Zach and Alyson said…
I was going to post some on my blog, but I'll also send them to you... I'll have to get Zach to resize them so that they don't kill your email inbox. I think that having a doula is a great idea... hopefully that will be calming during the birth. I hope that the meeting goes well with her.
Brittany said…
way cool! Hope that it all works out well. Still praying for you three every night. Appreciate all the updates.
Jennifer said…
Great decision on the doula! There is nothing "hippy" about any of the ideas you have mentioned. It's hard enough to have a "normal" birth in a hospital, but with your history thus far, I agree, the physicians may try to go over the top unnecessarily. Praying she is just the person you need! Keep us updated! We continue to pray for all 3 of you daily. Love y'all!
Jessica said…
Sounds cool to me. I love how open you guys are. Definitely put pictures up when you get them!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building the

Another Sonogram

We went to the high risk pregnancy doc today for another sonogram. This time he could see all four chambers of the heart, the pulmonary valve, etc. In his words it looked "dramatically better". He feels there is still some slight compression on the heart and that we need to continue watching it. As of now he cannot see anything that is causing it and the MRI did not see anything either. He also felt that the hands were okay. They are not clenched fists at least as he first thought, meaning that the fingers aren't overlapping each other. Her hands are still in fists and she won't open them but he said he has had other babies that have not opened their fist in the sonogram but the hands have been normal at birth, so we still have a lot of hope for those little hands. He was able to get a better look at the face today, no cleft palate, so that is a huge blessing. The feet are still concerning. They are definitely clubbed but she is also not moving them. She is moving her

More Miss Maddy pics

Here are some more pictures of Maddy. I know everyone is eager for pictures. We got to put her first little outfit on last night. She got out of the incubator bed and into a regular bassinet so she can now wear clothes and have her own blankies and stuff. It is great.