Skip to main content

Recycle, Re-purpose, Re-use

Maddy wanted to wear her boa to go to lunch with Daddy
That's what I feel like I do with summer activities: go to library or DBU (better A/C than our house), eat Popsicles, play in the pool, grill to avoid cooking inside. It seems that we do the same things over and over in the summer with slight variations on the theme. However I don't feel too bad about this and its nice to let my brain atrophy for a few weeks. Anyway, even the supposedly most creative people in the world (i.e. Martha Stewart, the fashion industry, etc.) recycle themes and ideas all the time. I recently saw a Real Simple magazine that recycled a theme and cover scheme "Organize Your Life" from several years ago. I swear it was exactly the same (large flower pick on cover, same theme, orange and yellow color scheme). The only difference was the flower was a different variety. Recently, I saw an article in a magazine about the "belt purse". The article tried to convince readers that a belt purse, made of leather, was a totally different thing than the good ol' fanny pack we all remember so well from the early 90's. Whatever. If you want to wear a container around your waste, just get real and pull out that old fanny pack you've got somewhere in storage from when you were 11. The Napoleon Dynamite girl has gone from looking nerdy to cute and trendy, all because the fashion industry has recycled the 80's look. So wear what you want! Like the Ecclesiastes guy said, "There is nothing new under the sun." Thank goodness I'm not lame for doing the same thing over and over again for 2 months every year! I'm just a normal human being with a limited mental capacity for coming up with anything new! Now back to enjoying summer!
A regular bowl is NOT big enough for cereal that has marshmallows in it

Maddy got to go to a birthday party at the Rosemeade Rainforest in Carrollton. That is a pretty impressive pool! It has a kids play area, a lazy river, slides, and several different pools.

Yummy birthday cake!

Hangin' with the big girls
For Father's Day we took Aaron to the drive in movie in Ennis. It was so fun even though it was still 100 degrees at 8:30 at night. Maddy had the best time and she stayed up for both movies. I was shocked. She mostly played in the back of the Isuzu and ate candy---which probably explains why she had the energy to stay up until 1a..m.

World's Greatest Dad

Pizza I made for Aaron's father's day meal

The pick your own outfit stage
b                 vvvcc

I've been slowly but surely continuing my organizing campaign. One of the things I did was clean out Maddy's dresser and move her clothes to the bottom drawers so she can pick out her own outfits. It is pretty fun to see what she comes up with.
Today we went to the geneticist to visit with her about the possibility of Maddy having Beals Syndrome. At first she seemed kind of doubtful and though that arthrogryposis was still the best diagnosis but she re-read som information about Beals and then decided that it was a legitimate thing to check out so we did a blood draw and sent it off to a labf in Pennsylvania that does a genetic screen for Beals. We should know the results in 2-3 weeks. If she does have Beals, that won't change her treatment plan. The most important reason for the test is just to tell if what she has is genetic (beals) or not (arthrogryposis).

Comments

Jenna said…
That pizza looks delicious!!!!
Drs Meyer said…
I love when kids pick their own clothes. I also have learned from you thru the years that reusing and re-purposing things is not only useful, it's thrifty!

love the ideas you've given me for organization!
bee said…
You're not going to believe it, but I think your summer sounds WAY better than mine. I love it when kids like to pick out their own outfits. I remember some of the ones that were picked out. Remember EJ's shorts and rain boots? Classic. I agree with Jenna. YUM on the pizza. Also agree with your statement of "greatest dad". He is awesome.
Anonymous said…
Super jealous of the water park place! now I want to go to a water park! It's not 100 here, but it's definitely feeling warmer. Now to find that fanny pack...
Brittany
Brandon E. said…
What is hard for me to believe is that some clothes made it all the way through 3 boy's uses. I wore them, gave them to Ethan, and he gave them back to Dawson. AND some of them were from thrift stores to start with! Oh and the old Schwinn bike my mom bought at a flea market a bunch of us learned to ride on. Nobody can claim our family is wasteful! (My mom still has the little bike BTW)

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...