Skip to main content

Leap Day: A Day to Take a Leap

Happy Leap Day! I guess I've been reading Jenna and Brittany's blogs too much. :) I decided to leap on the bang-wagon (that pun's for you Brittany) and cut myself some bangs. I think they look pretty good. Last time I had bangs I was doing the 90's curl, spray, and poof so I was a little nervous to jump on board with the bang fad, but I'm pretty satisfied with the overall result. Maddy got her bangs trimmed the other night and now she keeps asking me to cut her hair. Yikes! Not sure I'm ready for that. Maybe for her birthday I will take her to the salon (does Family Cuts in Wal-Mart qualify as a salon?) for a very small trim.

Though the bangs were quite a stretch for me, that is not the real leap that I wanted to let everyone know about. Aaron and I have been praying and talking a lot, and we have come to the decision that we want to pursue an adoption over the next couple of years. We are both really, really excited about this decision but also really overwhelmed. Although we've prayed about it and feel it's where the Lord is leading, we haven't gotten much farther than getting some suggestions from one of the guys that Aaron went to Kenya with as to adoption agencies. He and his wife are very close to adopting a child from the Congo.

Anyhow, we both agree that it is time to ask for everyone's collective prayers as we get down to business and seriously pursue adopting a child. Right now we are interested in an international adoption, but we want to be open to whatever child or place that the Lord is leading us. Our only stipulation that we are firm on is that the child we adopt has to be several years younger than Maddy (I'm hoping 1 year old or less when the child comes into the family, but again I don't know enough about the process or where God is leading us to know if I should/can be quite this picky about age).

Coming to this decision has just renewed how blessed I feel to have Maddy in our family. If Maddy wasn't who she is, I don't know that we would have ever seriously come to the point of taking this step. Aaron and I talked about being interested in adopting someday before we got married, but I honestly don't know that we would have ever really pursued it under other circumstances. Just as God creates individuals with unique abilities, opportunities, and talents, He creates all families differently to serve him in unique ways. Brandon and Amanda's example in this has been very helpful to me.(I'd appreciate any input/insight/suggestions y'all have for us that you'd be willing to share.) I am also comfortable with this decision because I have seen how great things have worked out with their adoption and I know that our family has the love and ability to accept an adopted child as their own.

I wish that I could describe the overwhelming joy and peace I have for this decision. Believe me, I nervous and scared to death too, but this is is another opportunity to trust God to work and I am excited about that!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wait a minute, I haven't heard anything about Maddy getting a hair cut...I'm not sure if even on Leap Day I'm able to make such a move! :-)

Aaron
Jenna said…
This is such exciting news!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear more about the adoption plans!!!!!

Also... you need to post a picture of the new bangs. I'm sure they are fabulous!!
Kristina said…
Excited for you on the possibility of adoption! We looked into that a while back but it's definitely not the time for us.
bee said…
hahahaha Aaron. That is so funny. Sounds like a statement from "some other" very familiar person.

Exciting for sure on the adoption possibility. Know that more exciting adventures await the Fletcher household.
Anonymous said…
OK, I call no fair for you to cut bangs and not post a picture!! DO IT! And I'm super pumped for you guys to adopt- Your lovely family is perfectly suited for it!
brittany
Brandon E. said…
I may be a little biased but I think it is a wonderful idea. Very rewarding. I'll send you an email with some thoughts about the foster care system.
Chrissy Cross said…
That is so great, I would love to adopt.
Chrissy Cross said…
And Maddy will be a great big sister!
Drs Meyer said…
I was more than a little excited to think about a little Fletcher running around with Mads! I love this idea and you know I've been praying for awhile about this, but will continued with renewed fervor because ya'll are choosing that path :)
Ms. Embry said…
I too am so excited about this decision! I just think adoption is such a beautiful and wonderful thing and I can't think of better parents (and a better sister!) for it! There are so many children out there that would be blessed to have a home like yours and I can't wait for you to meet the one who is meant for ya'll! :-)

I am also anxious to see the bangs...I hereby sign the picture petition as well! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building the

Another Sonogram

We went to the high risk pregnancy doc today for another sonogram. This time he could see all four chambers of the heart, the pulmonary valve, etc. In his words it looked "dramatically better". He feels there is still some slight compression on the heart and that we need to continue watching it. As of now he cannot see anything that is causing it and the MRI did not see anything either. He also felt that the hands were okay. They are not clenched fists at least as he first thought, meaning that the fingers aren't overlapping each other. Her hands are still in fists and she won't open them but he said he has had other babies that have not opened their fist in the sonogram but the hands have been normal at birth, so we still have a lot of hope for those little hands. He was able to get a better look at the face today, no cleft palate, so that is a huge blessing. The feet are still concerning. They are definitely clubbed but she is also not moving them. She is moving her

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today we found out we were having a little girl. One year ago today, the OB called us into his office and told us that Maddy was not going to survive. One year ago today God heard the prayers of many friends and family and he started working a miracle. One year ago today I thought I would never see my precious little girl alive. One year ago today I was so shocked I didn't and couldn't feel anything but disbelief. One year ago today, God started planning that today a little girl named Madeline Mae Fletcher would be by my side as I write this, talking and playing with her stuffed cow that Aunt Tammy gave her. One year ago today God set out to prove that he is faithful and he hears his people's prayers and that he still does miracles. Today is bittersweet because one year ago today our dreams and plans we had for our new life with our baby girl were destroyed. But one year ago today God started making a new plan to give us a different dream and a different plan.