Skip to main content

Change and Remembering


I always stop and remember this day as the day that completely changed my life. No one but me remembers now, but this is the day that we had Maddy's 20 week sonogram. This day is not sad to me anymore; it is just an important day to remember. On that day I was not ready for my life to change so dramatically. I didn't want to have to be challenged or deal with the difficult circumstances that we were dealing with. I just wanted out...but there was no way out. Looking back I have to laugh at myself. There was no way to see it on that side, but God had an amazing plan for our family. He had a plan to give us more joy and more understanding of who he is. Many of the times in the last five years have not been easy, but they have been worth it. We would not trade Maddy for anything and love every part of who she is, even when sometimes part of who she is drives us crazy, like doing the exact opposite of what the photographers tell her to do when trying to take her picture (event from yesterday, more on that later).
This day is quite different this year since we are expecting another baby in 10 weeks. I find myself apprehensive of change again. How is this new baby going to fit into our family? It seems like a silly worry, but I worry about my ability to parent a child who doesn't have special needs. I don't know how to do it! I worry about the impact that a new person in the family will have on relationships, time, money. The usual worries; the usual fear of change. Yet, looking back on how God did such amazing things in our lives with Maddy, I shouldn't be fearing or dreading change. I should be anticipating change and looking for God's best in this change for our family, even if I don't see it on this side.

Comments

Brandon E. said…
Don't worry. I've finally realized parents have no idea what they are doing. After thousands of years of civilization, raising children is still just a big experiment.

Looking forward to a quick visit sometime next week!
bee said…
LOL! Brandon. You have got that totally right. Thank goodness we have only one day at a time to live. God does hold the future in his hands. It is all taken care of. Maddy we love you and cannot thank God enough that he brought you into our lives.
Ms. Embry said…
Maddy's journey from that 20 week sonogram until now is truly an amazing testimony to how faithful God is and how His ways and thoughts and plans are so much better than anything that we dream up or that we think we want or can handle. I personally have learned a lot about just trusting Him and also about how much He can and will do in answer to prayer just from watching Maddy's story unfold and watching how you and Aaron have responded over these past five years. All three of you are amazing and I'm sure Fletcher #4 will be just as awesome!!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building the

Another Sonogram

We went to the high risk pregnancy doc today for another sonogram. This time he could see all four chambers of the heart, the pulmonary valve, etc. In his words it looked "dramatically better". He feels there is still some slight compression on the heart and that we need to continue watching it. As of now he cannot see anything that is causing it and the MRI did not see anything either. He also felt that the hands were okay. They are not clenched fists at least as he first thought, meaning that the fingers aren't overlapping each other. Her hands are still in fists and she won't open them but he said he has had other babies that have not opened their fist in the sonogram but the hands have been normal at birth, so we still have a lot of hope for those little hands. He was able to get a better look at the face today, no cleft palate, so that is a huge blessing. The feet are still concerning. They are definitely clubbed but she is also not moving them. She is moving her

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today we found out we were having a little girl. One year ago today, the OB called us into his office and told us that Maddy was not going to survive. One year ago today God heard the prayers of many friends and family and he started working a miracle. One year ago today I thought I would never see my precious little girl alive. One year ago today I was so shocked I didn't and couldn't feel anything but disbelief. One year ago today, God started planning that today a little girl named Madeline Mae Fletcher would be by my side as I write this, talking and playing with her stuffed cow that Aunt Tammy gave her. One year ago today God set out to prove that he is faithful and he hears his people's prayers and that he still does miracles. Today is bittersweet because one year ago today our dreams and plans we had for our new life with our baby girl were destroyed. But one year ago today God started making a new plan to give us a different dream and a different plan.