Skip to main content

Hearing Aid Fitting, Endocrinologist Appt

I guess I should start with the endocrinologist appointment. We went to that on Wednesday. Their scale showed Maddy's weight as 10lb 10 oz. What happened to 12 oz?!?! She did have a wet diaper and onesie on when they weighted her for the ABR but I seriously doubt that it weighed that much and I seriously doubt she lost weight in one day. So it is a mystery so apparently she didn't weigh as much as we thought but she had still gained close to a pound in two weeks which is still great. Nothing in the consultation jumped out at him so he ordered blood work. We got that done at the hospital right after we saw the doctor and should have the results in 10 days to a week. He is looking at thyroid levels, growth hormone, iron levels, and some enzymes that indicate nutrient absorption. So we shall see. Maddy was a trooper for the blood work. She cried of course but she seriously handled getting her blood taken better than I handle it. Once they got the needle in she was fine and pretty much even stopped crying. I had to hold her arm while the phlebotomist searched for the vein. That was not pleasant.
Today's appointment was really cool. They made molds of the inside of Maddy's ears so that they can make the ear piece for her hearing aids. It takes about three weeks to get them made so we will go pick them up on December 8th. The Thanksgiving holidays are making it a little longer til we can get them. She will have pink hearing aids with ear pieces in pink and white swirl. Very cool. I did not know they came in colors. I figured she'd just have the ugly flesh colored ones. The hearing aids are pretty pricy but thankfully we just have to replace the ear pieces every six months, not the entire hearing as we first thought, which totally makes sense. I'm really excited for Maddy to get her hearing aids but it will be a challenge as well. She will have to get used to all the new sounds and to having something in her ears all the time. The doctor told us that kids usually try to pull them out for a while but once they get used to them they will actually start crying if the hearing aid falls out. So anyway, just a few more weeks and we can start the hearing aid adventure.
I have to give a presentation for my Shakespeare class tonight. I hate giving presentations but we are having a beautiful day in Dallas so at least I have some time to hang out with Aaron and Maddy and enjoy the day before I go to class.

Comments

Jennifer said…
yay for spunky hearing aids! i'm sure she'll make them extra stylish! sorry about the false weight gain! somebody didn't have their scale zeroed, or that was one really wet diaper! but, at least she did gain some weight! wish we could share some of colby's pounds, but not sure how we'd work that one out! lol!
Anonymous said…
Cool Stuff!!
I think Maddy is suffering from the hypothyroidism. This can be possible if the thyroid levels are lowered than the average levels.

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...