Skip to main content

The Nine Days of Kenya: On the first day of Kenya my true love said to me, "see ya babe I'm headed to Nairobi!"

Aaron's Kenya trek has begun. I dropped him off at the airport a little after 12:30. His flight leaves at 3:30 but we just wanted to be on the safe side since it's an international flight. Everything went fine getting through security though. He was at his terminal before I got home from dropping him off and he'd already found three of the other five team members who are going with him. They will fly to Amsterdam and then to Nairobi. They arrive in Nairobi sometime tomorrow.
On my end I will be finding out what it's like to live the life of a single parent. I have a very large list of projects that I want to do during spring break. I plan to paint a couple of walls in the dining/living room area, wash curtains, clean baseboards, clean out the cars, mow the lawn, and clean out the flowerbeds I haven't gotten to yet. It seems like a huge list but I think I can get it all done with no school an minimal grading to take care of during the break. Tam is taking Wednesday off so we'll do something fun that day and Brandon, Amanda, and kids are supposed to arrive in Dallas this evening and spend at least the weekend so we'll catch up with them tomorrow maybe.
I think Aaron will have a great trip. I know he is excited about going and helping the Brookhaven team figure out which village in Kenya our church will partner with. We'd like all of you to keep all of us in your prayers: Aaron as he travels and Maddy and I as we hold down the fort.

Comments

Jennifer said…
What a great experience for Aaron! I've been to Nairobi. Such memories. Praying for his team.

Praying for you and Maddy as well. The longest we've gone is 17 days when Stephen was in India. Colby was nursing still and we were in a rent house. Whew, I don't want to do that again. But, you know what, God was so sweet to me during that time, in that my kids were AWESOME! It was as easy of a 17 days without a spouse as I could've ever dreamed of!

Praying that you are able to accomplish lots of your things on your to-do list and enjoy the extended week!
Brittany said…
yay! I love the updates!

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

We Need Your Prayers

Many of you have probably heard all ready, but Aaron and I got some devastating news today. Our baby will probably not survive outside the womb. They did an amneostasis this afternoon to test for chromasomal defects, which is what they think it is right now. I know I am spelling everything wrong so I hope what I write makes enough sense for everyone to understand what is going on. The specialist we went to see feels that it is triploidy or triamias 18. Those may not be the right names but they are two of the three chromasomal defects. The other is down's syndrome. He did not feel that it was down's. The other two defects are fatal so if we carry the baby to term it will not live but for a few days or hours if one of the defects above is the problem. We will know in 2days. If it is not one of those then we will have to go to a cardiologist and a genetic counselor. The baby had clubbed hands and feel and it's heart is not formed correctly and is not in the right place. Becau...