Skip to main content

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like my dad and Jan) who will probably be interested in looking this condition up, the geneticist gave us these websites--www.ghr.nlm.nih.gov and www.medlineplus.gov. She said these are sites with reliable information about this condition. So please keep praying for our baby and that we'll continue to hear good news about her.
Yesterday our Bible class and our small group both had prayers for us and I cannot even begin to express how comforting it was and how much it meant that they took the time to worry and hurt and petition God for our baby with us. I know that Aaron and I would not have been able to keep functioning through this week if we did not have family and friends praying for us and caring for us during this time.
Tonight Aaron and I will attend the Russell H. Perry Free Enterprise Award dinner. It is this swanky fundraiser dinner that cost $1000 a person to attend. Someone donated a table for the science department and since Aaron is new faculty and has never had an opportunity to attend this dinner he got to be top pick for getting to go. I am basically just going for the food. It is supposed to be incredible.
Again thanks for all your prayers and support and I will definitely keep you updated in the coming days. We will get a break from all the doctor's appointments for the next two weeks so there won't be much more news about the baby to share unless we get bad results on the part of the chromasome test that hasn't come back. Tomorrow we're leaving to go out to Farwell for Thanksgiving. I hope all of you have a great holiday time with your familes.

Comments

Chrissy Cross said…
Drive safely, call or come over when you are in town, I would love to see you guys!! You are always in my prayers.
Jennifer said…
Praise God!! Praying that the good news will continue to pour in! We love all of you!

Our Sunday school class also prayed for you guys, and we haven't even been in there for the last 13 wks (2 year old class still), but I had talked to my friend, Amanda, about it all while walking, and she didn't think we'd mind if she brought it up in class. So, Belton church of Christ is also lifting your baby girl up to God for healing! Prayer works!
Anonymous said…
Awesome...thanks again for the update! It's a blessing to pray for friends, and we know you do the same. Enjoy dinner! (I hope it's as good as that BBQ place y'all keep raving about - we still need to go sometime).
Sarah Kirksey said…
Oh, I'm so glad y'all got some good news! We will keep praying for healthy development of your precious daughter! Love you guys!
Zach and Alyson said…
Keep the good news coming Lord. So thankful that the visit went well today. Thanks for the update!
Jessica said…
Praise God!! I'll still be praying!
Brittany said…
I am rejoicing with you! Still praying for more good news. What a mighty God we serve! Thank you so much for keeping us up to date.
love you both!
brittany j

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...