Skip to main content

Shots!!


Today we went for a two month check up and shots. I was dreading the shots but Maddy did great. We only had the left leg available for the shots so we did not do the Hep B shot she was supposed to get. We'll get that later. Anyway she cried while the nurse was giving her the shot but as soon as the nurse was done, she was done. She also had an oral vaccine for roto virus which was no biggy at all. I think she kind of liked it whatever it was. She is funny. She is sleeping now. I gave her tylenol before we went so I'm hoping that will prevent any fever or aches that might come from the vaccines. I found out that the test they did for spinal muscular atrophy came back negative so that is good news. We're still waiting on the results for full chromosome screen and the mytotic (sp?) dystrophy test. She has had really dry, scaly eyebrows for the past couple of weeks so he gave a perscription for some cream to put on that. I am also going to have to get some dandruff shampoo for her flaky head. Her numbers kind of cracked me up. They are not accurate in the first place because she cannot stretch her legs out all the way and then she had a cast on that skewed the weight. Still...her height is now 19 3/8" which shows how much her legs have stretched out over the past few weeks and her weight with the 1 cast was 7lb 6oz. I know she's gained because last time we weighed she was 7lb 3 oz with two heavy plaster casts on. The soft casts are lighter and she only had one. I will get to take the other one off tomorrow and give her real bath before we go to SR!! I'm so excited. Anyway, the reason her numbers were funny was because she is in the bottom 3%. Why even tell me? She is doing so good though. She will just be behind for awhile. She started smiling some this week. She especially smiled at Grandma and my Uncle Weldon while we were in Farwell and Lubbock for Memorial day. I was glad that I could tell the dr. she'd started smiling. Anyway, that's the 2 month update on how she's doing. I'll let everyone know how Scottish Rite goes tomorrow. I am curious to see if we continue with the soft casts since she did so well at keeping those on.

Comments

Ms. Embry said…
I can't believe it's been two months already! I'm glad that the shots thing was fairly painless...I know from friends' accounts that the whole shots thing is one of the worst things about being a parent! So I'm glad Maddy wasn't too traumatized by it. By the way, I can't wait to see her smile!!
Brandon said…
I could tell right a way she had grown a lot since we stopped by several weeks ago. I remember taking some oral vaccines when I was really little. Grape flavored I think. Wonder what it was since I can remember it, so I must have been 3-4 yrs old?

Brandon

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

Birthing Class Finale/Shower

We had a busy weekend! Saturday we finished up our birthing class and learned lots of new and helpful information. We were there for 7 hours this time. The class was very good but I was so ready to stop sitting for a little bit at the end. I think both of us feel glad we went but also just completely bombarded with information that it's going to take a little bit to process. Guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything in two days. At the end of our class our teacher came up to us and suggested that we contact one of her friends that is a Doula. For those of you who don't know (I didn't know what this was before I took this class) a doula is like a birthing coach that helps you through the labor process. A lot of people that want to have a natural labor (no pain meds, etc.) us a doula. I had never thought I would be interested in this. In fact, up to the moment that the teacher suggested this lady, it wasn't even an option in my mind. We had shared a l...