Skip to main content

Hearing Test


We are getting ready to head out to Farwell. The hearing test process lasted about 2 hours. We had to feed her and get her to go to sleep and then start the test. We couldn't let her sleep in the car and were supposed to keep her awake before the test so it was pretty easy to get her to fall asleep since she hadn't slept since 11. The test showed that she had some mild hearing loss in both ears. So they did another test to see if her ear drums were moving correctly. They weren't. This is actually a good thing because it means that most likely she has fluid or some type of infection behind her eardrums that is causing the hearing loss. So we are scheduled to go in to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor. The annoying part is that they couldn't get us in until June 23rd so we will have to wait a month to see what is going on with that. The good part is that it could clear up on its own before then. We will do a repeat hearing test after the doctor looks at her and gets fluid cleared if needed. That will tell us if all hearing loss was due to that or if there is something in addition going on. So no final answer today but at least it looks hopefully that it is an issue that could be fairly easy to resolve. Please pray that it won't be a big deal and that her hearing will be fine and that the fluid or whatever the problem is can clear up. If this doesn't solve the issue then her hearing loss is significant enough that we would have to get some type of hearing aids. Okay, I've got to go finish packing up. The picture is of Maddy helping Dad work on the computer.

Comments

Brittany said…
I'm glad that you got through the testing. I had 40% hearing loss when I was a kid, and they put tubes in and it completely corrected the problem. I have full confidence that everything will work out. Have a wonderful trip time!
Chrissy Cross said…
Several of my friends kiddos have gone through that and they all can hear fine now. I think it is pretty common, the fluid thing, anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Getaway to Ticks Bend....I Mean Beavers Bend State Park

 Back in April, we decided we needed to do a short family getaway after the semester was over. The last time we'd been on vacation just to vacation (not going to see family in CO) was when we went to San Antonio when Maddy was 3 months old. We found Beavers Bend State Park close to Broken Bow, OK and decided to go there. We booked a cabin in the state park and eagerly awaited the day we could take off for our getaway. We left on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon. It was short, but so fun and relaxing. We had no computer and no cell phones while we were up there. We just got to enjoy being around each other and the beautiful scenery.  We built a fire and roasted some marshmallows. Also popped some jiffy pop. Aaron had never done one of those before.  This is a 100 year old cabin they had at the visitor center. I like the mud chinking ( I think that's what it's called). A couple named Comma and Mabel lived in the cabin when the CCC was building t...

Geneticist

We went to see the genetic counselor this morning at 10. What we found out was hopeful for now, although we'll have to continue watching to see how thing develop. She said from what the doctors had communicated to her and from the initial results of the fish test (test for the chromosomal defects) and because I have been feeling the baby move every day, right now she thinks the baby may have a condition called Amyoplasia Congenita. This is a condition where the baby develops normally except for the hands and feet which can be corrected through orthopedic treatment, at least to some extent. People with this condition can live normal lives. This is obviously the best news we've had all week and much better than where we were a week ago. However, this isn't a diagnosis. We still need to watch the baby's development and also get the complete results from the chromosomal testing. BUT we are so thankful that today we have good news and something to hope for. For those (like m...

We Need Your Prayers

Many of you have probably heard all ready, but Aaron and I got some devastating news today. Our baby will probably not survive outside the womb. They did an amneostasis this afternoon to test for chromasomal defects, which is what they think it is right now. I know I am spelling everything wrong so I hope what I write makes enough sense for everyone to understand what is going on. The specialist we went to see feels that it is triploidy or triamias 18. Those may not be the right names but they are two of the three chromasomal defects. The other is down's syndrome. He did not feel that it was down's. The other two defects are fatal so if we carry the baby to term it will not live but for a few days or hours if one of the defects above is the problem. We will know in 2days. If it is not one of those then we will have to go to a cardiologist and a genetic counselor. The baby had clubbed hands and feel and it's heart is not formed correctly and is not in the right place. Becau...